Sunday, December 28, 2014

Too Much Turkey Leftovers? Never!

After Christmas Dinner in my family there is an excited frenzy of filling containers with leftovers to take home.  I am always relieved to know that I won't have to cook for a day or two as we work through them.  After a day or so, though, I begin to wish I could eat something other than turkey sandwiches and leftover mashed potatoes.  With so much food leftover, though, it is hard to think about cooking up a meal with fresh ingredients and leaving the rest to go to waste. 

Start out by making a delicious broth from the turkey bones.  In a stick pot along with the bones, place a few carrots, a few onions, a bulb of garlic broken up (no need to peel any of this, just make sure its clean).  Add 3-4 bay leaves, a teaspoon of peppercorns, and any other vegetable trimmings you have on hand.  I keep a bag in my freezer where I place perfect stock-making goodies such as leek tops, parsley and other herb stems, the base from heads of celery, broccoli stems, corn cobs etc.  Cover it all with water and add a splash of white wine and place over a burner to simmer for 3 hours. Strain the broth, place it back into the pot and then reduce it for another 2-3 hours to make a concentrated fragrant golden liquid. 

Here are a few quick and simple recipe to use up more than just your turkey!

Buckwheat Crepes with Turkey, Wild Rice and Cranberries

Turkey Curry Soup











No comments:

Post a Comment